Study Abroad: Why I'm Going Abroad

by - August 22, 2018



Hello everyone,

I'm so excited to get a little more personal with you guys in sharing why I am choosing to study abroad. 

I've always wanted to study abroad and could not wait for the time to arrive when I could fulfill that part of my academic journey. I distinctly remember in high school when my physics teacher made an offhand comment about how, "My biggest regret is not studying abroad in college." and from that day on I've always remembered her words and knew I did not want to share those sentiments in the years to come. 

I also knew that I wanted to study abroad during my junior year, the more traditional route. I didn't want to spend a year abroad, I knew that, too. And, above all, I wanted to go someplace that didn't have too much in common with American culture. In hindsight, this is ridiculous expectation but it justified why I did not choose to study in England or what have you. 

With my minor being Chinese and my interests being Korean, I was stuck choosing between Tongji University in Shanghai and Ewha Womens University in Seoul, South Korea. Both schools are amazing and I very well wish the Korean university was more financially attainable. However, I did not pick Shanghai because of the financial reasons but because of the long term pay off. 

I am choosing to study abroad in Shanghai for a multitude of reasons. First, I love China and Chinese culture. I had such an amazing, impactful time when I last went to China that it would only make sense for me to want to go back. Chinese culture, cuisine, and customs are all very unique and the way I was treated in China, especially as a foreigner attempting to learn Mandarin, makes me excited to go back. The respect, encouragement, and admiration from locals who got to know me made my last experience all the more personal, so I am excited to be going back. 

Second, studying abroad in Shanghai allows me the possibility to earn enough credits to complete the major! How often is it that you can take enough credits that you'll be able to come back to your home university with one bachelors already completed?! This opportunity is not frequently presented and, as such, I know it would only benefit me to take advantage of it. This is another reason why I am choosing to study in China and not Korea. Because the classes from Korea were likely to not be transferrable. Studying abroad in Shanghai guarantees my classes will be transferred. 

Lastly, and you're going to have seen this coming, I am studying in China because of the cost. Studying abroad in Shanghai is approximately $7,000 for the semester. For reference, semester tuition at Manoa is approximately $15,000. Studying abroad in China includes tuition, housing, meals, and more. The only thing it doesn't include is the airfare. And, what is most interesting, is that the price is up to you. There are many factors that go into this price and depending on what I choose to buy or take part in can affect whether or not there is an increase or decrease. For example, if I choose not to buy a Chinese cell phone I will have saved $800 USD! Studying abroad in China is definitely the more economical choice. 

What do you think about where I'm studying? Let me know in the comments down below. 

You May Also Like

0 comments