Study Abroad: My Hopes and Fears

by - August 23, 2018



Hello everyone!

I hope you enjoyed the collaboration from earlier this week. It was so fun to be able to collaborate with another collegiate and share our experiences thus far. I hope to incorporate more of these collaborations in the future, but for now I'm going to continue on my own. I am curious-- who would you like to see on the blog? Is there a blogger in particular that you would like me to work with? Let me know in the comments below!!

Now onto todays post: My hopes and fears when it comes to studying abroad. 

My hopes:
  1. I hope, above all, to feel comfortable and confident in my language abilities
  2. I hope to visit difference provinces and famous places like Shanghai Disney or the section of the Great Wall in Nanjing
  3. I hope to make friends who encourage and support me throughout this semester. Ideally I hope to make friends with people who will help me study Chinese and encourage me to do better!
My fears:
  1. I fear I will take longer to acclimate to China than I did previously 
  2. I fear my teachers will not be understanding of us international students and that they will expect us to have the same diligent attitude as the Chinese students
  3. I fear I will struggle in class and not enjoy myself
What I'm learning, throughout this series, is that language is a process and language acquisition does not happen overnight. I have learned to accept that the level I end up in is the one I belong in, and while it's been hard, I have realized that I would rather be in the lower class and enjoy my semester rather than be in the higher level and struggle. Studying abroad is a process, but writing out my hopes and fears can do nothing but help. 

What have you looked forward to this semester? Let me know in the comments below. 

You May Also Like

0 comments