End of the Week Update

by - September 30, 2016

Hey guys!

I wanted to quickly make a post explaining my week thus far. I'm halfway through what I've conned my "Busiest Week Yet" so with that being said, here's everything I've been up to!


Let's start with Monday.

Originally I had a Chinese vocab quiz (end of chapter 3) and a religion exam. My religion exam wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, but it wasn't easy by any means. It was exactly like the teacher said it would be, with 35 fill in the blanks and 4 short answer questions. The set up of the test is pretty straight forward- you're given a list of all the terms you've learned in this unit and are told to match them with their respective definition. After that you'll be given a word like "Ghandi" and, in 35 words or more, are expected to write down as much as you can about him. This was the case for 5-6 words/phrases/people. 

The nice thing about college tests is that you can leave as soon as you're done. You can't do this with quizzes, obviously, but with tests no one cares if you leave. I think they would find it odd if you didn't, to be honest. 

So after my religion test I went back and studied for anthropology. My Tuesdays are one of my short days, so I was able to study briefly for anthropology while also going to psych and attending one more lecture before our exam. I also had my Chinese exam on this day and did really well on it. It's my best vocab test to date, and currently the only test that I know my grade on. I also managed to make my way over to the gym. I used to laugh at those people whose excuse was, "But it's so far!" But now I know what they mean. It is a far walk, and the crazy thing is that it's really only 10 minutes away, but by the time you get there you're already gross and sweaty and don't want to workout. I'm going to go every Tuesday and Thursday (maybe Sunday?) and workout for 30 minutes to an hour. I liked my hour workouts in Colorado but I've noticed that working out there is a little different than working out here. For example it's harder to breathe in Colorado so you would think I get tired faster but I actually get tired a lot faster here than I did back home. I'm hoping that with the more times I go. Also, for those of you wondering, the Korean club meeting went well. They talked about the next event they would be holding, as well as t-shirts they've been working on. I wont be attending the next event but it looks really interesting. It's a culture day so they'll be watching a movie and learning some slang & aegyo. 

That evening I was studying with my friend when they asked me if I was stressed. I'm not sure how obvious it was, but considering I had a full week there's no surprise that I answered with "yes". Now I bring this up because I've never had it done before, nor did I know that it was a thing. So they took my arm and actually pressed down on certain points, like my forearm and palm. Initially it was painful, but I believe it was like that because I've never gotten it done before. I looked it up the day following and it's actually called "acupressure". I can't say how effective it was, but if my anthropology test is any indication as to how successful it is than I'll definitely see if I can get it done again. 


On Wednesday I had my anthropology test. I've heard a lot about the kind of tests she gives, but I think out of all the exams I had this week that this one was my best. The beginning was fill in the blank (sorry- no word bank this time!) and the rest were A-D questions that you needed to fill out on a scantron. It covered the first few chapters as well as the first 33 pages of Lansings ethnography. For those that will be taking the class, I made a quizlet online for it incase you ever find yourself needing to study. After the test was my ACE cluster followed by my one-on-one meeting with the leader. 

As far as the meeting went it was a very simple "How's class? What are your plans?" kind of thing. It's not very long nor is it something you need to prepare for. It's more like a way for the leaders to meet with you and get an idea of where you are in terms of the semester and where you're hoping to be. 

That night the other girls went out to play pool instead of studying. Thankfully one of my friends took AP Psych in high school and was able to help me study. However, I'm sad to say that all those hours of studying didn't amount to much, as I think I did poorly on the test. I got the acupressure done again and this time I also had my shoulders done. I'm actually surprised at the lack of bruising, because to make it work you have to press down hard. 

Thursday was my dreaded psych test. It was a pretty long test, I believe around 70 questions, and was mainly multiple choice. If I'm being completely honest I think this was my worst test. To be optimistic, I'm glad that we're allowed to drop one test of the semester. I might drop that, but now I know that I need to study more and space out my work. I think this week, because of how many tests I had, made it difficult to study because I had to change what I was studying and not go into importance of exam but date of exam. 

After my test I walked down to the church and decided to attend a mass. They have a daily mass at 12:10 and there were about 7 of us in attendance, myself being the youngest. The church is very small and very open. There are no pews and no books. The service is quick and to the point, and at 30 minutes was arguably the shortest service I've ever been to. The hardest part was not knowing any of the songs or prayers, and I think that's because of how few times I've gone in the past few years. 






And today, Friday, I had another Chinese quiz. And, of course, my good luck ran out, because that vocab quiz just so happened to be my worst one. After the quiz I had my usual schedule, and found out that one of my classes was canceled! I'm getting lunch soon, but I didn't want to leave without catching you all up on my week. 

Until next time,
Aislinn

You May Also Like

0 comments