Week Two

by - September 01, 2016

Hey everyone,

Can you believe we're halfway done with the week? As incredible, and a relief, as that is, I wanted to give you all an update on what this week has been like.


I guess I should start by prefacing with some interesting news. Coming as quite a shock to the rest of the campus, today was the day that President Obama flew to Hawaii to give a speech at the East West Center. For those of you that don't know, the East West Center is a pretty big building that is home to many famous conferences as well as the Japanese Garden. Located on East West Road (how fitting) the conference center's neighbors are the Korean Center building as well as another East West building. Remember the exhibit I was telling you about in one of my previous posts? This is where you can find that exhibit. Go a little farther and you'll make it to the main conference center, and where you'll find the president. While most students weren't familiar with just why the president was on campus, it turns out he was here to dedicate a statue to the marines. I'll be honesty, after class ended my friends and I did try and go find him. However, as unsuccessful as we were, it was pretty funny seeing groups of other people and their friends trying to find him, too. Based on the amount of cars outside the center, I think it's safe to say that my friends and I at least found where the president was, we just didn't get the chance to see the president.

Additionally, this week was the end of "add drop" week, meaning, quite literally, if you don't like a certain class you're free to drop it until a certain date and receive no poor grade as a result. This also means that this week was the end of "syllabus week", which is pretty much that one week of school during the semester where you don't have homework, tests, or a quiz.

Besides that, my week has been pretty similar to last. The only difference is probably in the way I'm managing my time. On most days, my friends and I all meet up in Tammy and Sarah's dorm room after class, usually this is at 3:30, and study together until dinner. At around 5-7 we take our break and go eat, and come back to finish our work. While some would say this method isn't effective, I've actually found there to be many upsides to working like this. For starters, none of us share the same major, and while that could be seen as a problem to some, it's nice because everyone is doing their own thing and not competing against one another. I also like that we're all working on something different and that whenever we need a break you can just look up and chances are someone else at least looks tired. I can see why working in study groups with kids that share your major would be easier, but I prefer the diversity as far as our majors go. I actually like that none of us share the same major, because your major shouldn't be what determines your friends. As it is, my friends are everything from marine biologists to nurses. It's very cool getting that different perspective, and I've found that if I truly need help that at least one of the girls knows someone who can help me.

I'm just going to end this post where it is here. I don't have much to say, but when something happens I'll be sure to update you all!



Until next time,
Aislinn

You May Also Like

0 comments