Sunset on the Beach

by - September 25, 2016

Hey everyone,

I can't believe it's been almost a week since last posting. Time has been flying by these past few days, so I'm lucky to have enough of a break to post something. 


Originally I was going to make this post about the university, but I decided that I would instead write about something that happened in Honolulu.

Have any of you heard of "Sunset on the Beach"? In short, the cast and crew of Hawaii Five-O get together for a beach premier of the first episode for that season. This year was actually their 7th year hosting a beach premier, so being able to go was very cool.

Like every other Friday my school day ends around 3:30. It was after this time that my friends and I left for Waikiki. We were told the premier would be at "the statue" (as told by a classmate of mine). Well, pro tip, it's not the statue you're thinking of. Instead of the Duke statue the event would be held nearby a much smaller statue of a boy surfing. Now all around this statue are vendors, a stage, and finally, a red carpet. My friends and I decided that we would wait next to the statue in hopes of seeing one, or possibly more, cast members.

It's not 6:30 and the cast has all shown up. At this point the crowd dispersed and we were left trying to find seats. We opted for a spot in the back a little bit past the surfboards. If you've been to Waikiki before you might know what I'm talking about, but if not, I sat towards the back of the group. If you're planning on ever attending an event like this I would definitely recommend bringing a towel and some food! I brought both and was so glad because I was very hungry after finding my seat.


Next up after everyone was sitting was the guest performer. It turned out to be Darius Rucker, and he was on stage for about half an hour (give or take) singing before they aired the first episode.

Traditionally, the sunset premier is when those in attendance would be able to watch episode one of the new season before everyone else. However, this was one of (I believe) the first years the date of the premier has lined up with the actual premier date. And, to top it off, this meant that Hawaii would be seeing the episode last. Yep, just because the show is about Hawaii and takes place in Hawaii doesn't mean we can see it before the rest of the country. The funny thing, however, is that I'm still only on season 4! This whole premier was to introduce season 7! Needless to say some stuff was spoiled, but not too badly.

And that was it! The episode was its usual 45 minute time and after it aired most of those in attendance actually left. Everything was done at around 8:30- 9:00.

Personally I think this was something anybody, even if you don't watch the show, could enjoy. It's annoying when people on campus say that there's "nothing to do in Hawaii" when in reality you just have to look around a little bit. This wasn't too advertised, so you really just need to dig some and you'll find that there is always something happening in Oahu.


Until next time,
Aislinn

You May Also Like

0 comments