Update on Week Three

by - September 13, 2016

Hey guys!

So this post is going to be a continuation of the previous one, Exciting Events of Week Three! In this post I wanted to address some exciting things that happened over the weekend.


Firstly, we started our Saturday by attending the Mid Autumn Festival put on by the Chinatown here in Honolulu. I was so excited to go and see what it was about but after getting there I quickly realized that it was nothing like the Korean festival. I believe that this was only their second year hosting the Mid Autumn Festival, which also explained the reason why the Korean one was so much more populated (I believe they've been a thing for 15 years). I was disappointed that the festival didn't have much to offer, and at one point confused as to why there was such a mix of vendors. Of the ones I saw, there were Chinese, Filipino, French, and even American booths. Here's some pictures to help you visualize what I'm talking about:



 I won't lie, as a Chinese major (and really just someone interested in Chinese culture) this event was pretty disappointing. I won't be going back until they're more established. It really made me jealous that the Korean festival had been so lively and fun, but I have to remember that it wasn't always like that...I think.


Next up, this past Saturday was the first home game for the Rainbow Warriors! The whole week prior the school had been advertising (the students, really) that there would be a tailgate beforehand as well as buses that can take students to and from the game. Originally, my friends and I decided we would go to the game but, after thinking about it, decided that a trip to target was more important.
It's funny, really, how long it has been since I had been to Target. Quite honestly one of my favorite stores, going to Target was such a sigh of relief from the usual trips to Walmart that I had taken. It was one of those things I've done while also realizing that something as simple as a trip to Target is what many people don't think twice about. However, students interested in attending Manoa (or students already at Manoa!) need to understand that Target is not nearby. In fact, it's a good 20 minutes away from campus and while that doesn't sound far, if you don't have a car to get you there than you're either looking at an hour long bus ride or paying for an uber. My friends and I went with the uber and I would urge other students to do the same, except really look at the fine print of the terms when picking a car. Your first ride is $22 off, but you cannot combine that with the college 50% off deal. I made that mistake, and also landed with a very weird driver who took the long way and ended up charging me double. Students: read the fine print.

After target the girls and I spent the rest of the day in our friend Tammy's room. The night prior the girls and I took to Waikiki and went night swimming and watched the sunset. We spent the rest of the day relaxing and catching up on sleep.

Sunday came and, for the first time, the girls all turned down going out and having fun. For days I had been talking about doing Koko Head, a huge incline known for its 1000+ steps and difficulty. However the girls wanted to do their homework and just "lounge around". If you know me at all than you would know that I hate just sitting around. Even on lazy days I feel like I've wasted my time if I haven't gone out and at least done something. So, to say the least, I was grouchy. Ultimately, after a good 5 hours of them doing their work, we once again left for Waikiki. We went to the beach and went into some stores like H&M in hopes that we could find some more clothes. After that we went to campus and then turned right back around to go to Walmart! Finally I was able to pick up a pair of those "Hawaiian Jesus Sandals" everyone here seems to own. I'll take a picture next time I wear them so you see just what I'm talking about.




So I know that by now you're probably thinking this post was clickbait. Going to target was definitely the highlight of my weekend (as sad a thing that is to say) and it is at this point that I'm starting to see the friend group break apart. I'm quickly witnessing how all of the time we've spent together has started to make us irritated and grouchy, and can only hope that things change. Tomorrow I'm going to try out a club on school so I'm hoping that, through that, I'll be able to meet some new people. I'm worried that the more time the girls and I spend together the faster we'll break apart. Students, understand that you're no longer in high school. You can eat lunch alone, walk to class alone, and go all day without talking to your friends. That's okay! If you spend too much time with the same group of people eventually your group will burn out. Take some time away from your friends and learn once again why you became friends in the first place. Reevaluate why you're all with each other. It's still early in the semester so join a club, go to a class at the gym, or just sit someplace new in the cafeteria. I'm not saying to leave your friends behind, but if you're like me and at that point where every little thing is starting to bug you (and to my friends reading, you know who I'm talking about!) then maybe take some time and do your own things for a little bit. You're still growing- don't stay trapped in the high school "pack mode" of needing to do every little thing together.


Until next time,

Aislinn


You May Also Like

0 comments