Tide pools Take Two

by - January 15, 2017

Hey everyone!!


I know, I have to get better about posting things on time. In my defense, I had truly thought my last post was posted on Thursday, when I intended it be published. Instead, I logged on today (to type this post up) and saw that I had not yet posted it. However I didn't feel like changing the post, so I left it as is. Regardless, I will carry on and talk about my weekend thus far!

Today I was planning on hiking Diamond Head (I know, I said this last weekend, too) but I was so tired that I ended up sleeping in. I really want to hike it, so I'm promising myself, and Shannon, that Monday morning I will hike Diamond Head. She told me today that she might not hike it anymore, but whether or not she joins me is up to her. I really like Diamond Head, so if I have to hike it alone I will. 

After sleeping in, I left for Waikiki at 9:30. Today I was planning on meeting one of my best friends, Megan. Megan was one of my friends I made online four, almost five, years ago when I had a twitter. I won't go into the details, but back during my freshmen year of high school I had a twitter account and on there I started talking to someone named Megan. Back then what we had in common was One Direction, but found out the more we talked that we had a lot more in common than we thought. Fast forward four years, and even though One Direction isn't a big part of our lives anymore, we still talk. Last week she flew out to Honolulu for vacation, and we both agreed to meet. Because I wanted to make sure we were meeting in some place public, to make both her family and her comfortable, we agreed on the Duke Statue, right in the heart of Waikiki. At 10:30 we saw each other and hugged for a good 10 minutes. It was surreal. It felt like meeting a friend I've had for a long time (which it was) but picking up like we've known each other forever. She even started crying. Here is a photo of us right after we met:


Once we met we decided we would walk the strip and grab breakfast, as I had not eaten that morning. Waikiki has been very humid lately, and today was no exception. For one of the first times since arriving, I felt very, very gross. The humidity was unbelievable and it felt like summer. Even in shorts and a tee shirt it felt like I was wearing too heavy of clothing. Thankfully once we had our drinks we were able to cool down and make a game plan of the rest of our day.

Because I'm "more familiar" with the island, Megan told me I was in charge of picking where we go. I was sure she would like the Makapu'u Tide pools, so I decided we hike them for the day. Megan agreed and, very generously, booked us an uber.

After arriving we began the hike up the road. The humidity didn't help, but the views made the hike a little more bearable. Once we made it to the rocks, we began our descent. 

30 minutes later and we were at the tide pools! It was a little crowded, but the longer we were there the more and more people began to leave, which was nice because it gave us a change to use her go pro and take some cool pictures. I will post some that I took so you guys can see what the tide pools look like: 





We were at the tide pools for about an hour to hour and a half before walking back up. Like my previous tide pool post explained, there's really no trail, but this time around I found it much easier getting back to the road. 

From there Megan ordered us another uber back ("It's not my money." was her response when I asked her how she was able to buy both ubers) and we went back to Waikiki for lunch.

We spent a couple more hours hanging out before we both had to leave. It was a little sad, but I'm hopeful we can meet again one day. The whole experience is very cool, because you never really imagine meeting your 'online friends' one day, and in Hawaii, of all places. But, like I said, I am hopeful that we will meet again one day. 

Once back on campus I met with the girls briefly before heading back to my building to shower and continue on with my day. Later we had dinner, and after that have been hanging out in my room. Tomorrow I work and have plans to go to Hanauma Bay afterwords (if they wait up for me). I'm looking forward to going snorkeling again, only this time when the tide is high! I'm worried that I will feel claustrophobic again, but I know that only by snorkeling more will I get over that feeling. I will keep you guys updated!

Have a great weekend, y'all!

Until next time,

Aislinn 

You May Also Like

0 comments