新年快乐!

by - January 29, 2017

大家好!

Happy New Years! 

Chinese New Years, of course. This year begins the year of the Rooster, for those of you who don't know. All across the world Chinese communities have put on performances to celebrate, and I was fortunate enough to come across some today!



The girls and I decided to celebrate the New Year by also eating dim sum. I've never had dim sum before, but it's essentially a type of Chinese-like brunch, where the food is appetizer sized and served in little boxes. That's not the best description, but I'll post some photos as we go so that you can have an idea of the style. 

The restaurant the girls wanted to eat at was in Ala Moana, and by noon we had arrived at the mall.  While we waited to be seated we walked around the mall and were witness to some of the lion dances! Historically, lion dances are when lions chase away evil spirits and bring forward good luck and power to the people. They are most often seen during auspicious (i.e.: prosperous) holidays like New Years, where they are seen decorated in bright colors and covered in extremely intricate detail. In return the lions ask for money, but it's not required. Usually you can go up to them and just hand them the money (through their mouth) or they come to you. Jade gave one of the lions money and it head butted her, so that might happen, too. 




After the dances, which was throughout the entire mall, we returned to the restaurant and was seated shortly after. 


 The girls and I then ordered two plates each. Tammy went for some pineapple buns and beef chao fan, while Jade went for a shrimp dish and Shanghai buns. I decided to get some 包子 (bao zi) and shrimp dumplings.  The food came out very quickly, especially considering how crowded the restaurant was. The food was so good that I ordered a box of Shanghai dumplings to go. Here are some pictures: 


Finally having baozi again! Last time I had it was in China.

The dim sum we ordered

Overall I would say that the food was good enough to make me want to go back. It's relatively cheap and the setting isn't too formal. You can go in leggings and a tank top, like my friends, or in a suit like those at the table next to me and be fine. I don't think it's always that crowded, but I think that because we went on a Chinese holiday it was as crowded as it was. Also, I've been told that dim sum is a thing that should be done in large groups, however I would disagree. This restaurant is open to anyone, and there were parties of two and parties of upwards of seven. In this restaurant, and it may be this restaurant alone, I would say that you can go with as many, or as little, people as you would like. 

Afterwords the girls and I came back and, exhausted, we all took naps. We regrouped a few hours later and went to a basketball game where we were able to score some free Manoa Maniacs merch. I finally got the hat I wanted, too! I'm sure you'll see pictures of it to come.

Besides that my day was spent relaxed and well. I hope you all can say the same about your days, too.


Until next time,

Aislinn

You May Also Like

0 comments