Catching Up

by - January 31, 2017

Hey guys,

This week, while it's only Tuesday, is thankfully going by much faster than the last. While I have a lot of work I should be doing (I'm writing this instead) I wanted to take some time out of my busy schedule and share with you all what has been going on throughout this week.

Let's begin with Monday. 



On Monday I was faced with completing homework and tests. In addition to that I also had work. Work has been nice, but I find myself always wondering if I should be working less hours. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to study for classes when I'm coming back from a late shift, so it's something I've been thinking a lot about lately. 

Thankfully this week is a lot less dramatic that last, and I hope I'm not jinxing anything. I think that because of the lack of "drama", I'm able to concentrate more on whats going on in classes. 

It sounds like I'm contradicting my earlier statement, but bear with me. 

My shift at work on Monday was from 3:15-7:15, and the more I work "rush" the more I like it. I like how I can go straight from class to the job and how I can go back to my dorm immediately afterwords. The only downside is that by the time my shift is over I'm exhausted and want nothing more than to sleep. However I would much rather work that shift than a closing one!

Today, Tuesday, was an equally eventful day; but just for a different reason. 

In my classes I've found that I'm not doing my best and I have decided to bite the bullet and go to my teacher's office hours. For those of you not yet in college, office hours are a chance for students to speak to their professors one-on-one and a chance for any questions you may have to be answered. So far I've only met with my Chinese teacher, but I'm hoping to also sit down with my East Asian professor and possibly my sociology one. 

For those curious Chinese class has been getting better. My homework assignments are scoring higher and higher and my retention of vocabulary is also increasing. I met with her today because I had concerns about speaking, but besides that I haven't had any reason to see her. She actually surprised me by having some lesson plans drawn up to help with tones, so I'm curious to see how my spoken Chinese progresses. It can only get better, right?

After Chinese was sociology and, after that, I was done. I took a brief nap today and ended my day at work. Once I return to the dorms I will finish my sociology homework and Chinese, if there is any. I'm hoping there isn't, but I doubt I'm that lucky.

The rest of this week looks pretty monotone. There's a campus club fair later in the week that I'm excited about, but besides that all I have to look forward to is work and the time after when I can relax. 

Oh! And I should also update everyone on how the roommate situation is going. So far there have been no complications, and I can't complain. We get along well and in the past week alone have spoken to each other more than my previous roomie and I ever did. I don't think we'll become best friends, but I'm glad that we get along and respect each others' spaces. 

I hope everyone is enjoying the week thus far. It's been pretty chilly here (68 currently) so for future reference I will probably forgo the shorts and wear pants to work. You live and you learn, I guess. 

One last point- in sociology today my teacher made it a point of his to highlight that life is "too short to look back on". He emphasized that we should all "Just do it" and I think that's what I'm going to do. His speech was pretty empowering, so I'm going to spend of my week doing all the things I haven't gotten to do yet. Please look forward to it. I hope you all can say the same. 

Until next time,

Aislinn

You May Also Like

0 comments