A Lil Bittersweet

by - December 03, 2016


Hey guys,


Yes, I'm currently in that mood where I'm thinking too much and starting to realize how much I've done this past semester. I'm not going to make this post a flashback kind of thing, but I've done so much growing and exploring these past few months that it's hard not to feel proud, and bittersweet. 

Yes, things have been pretty bittersweet lately. 

As my last two weeks come to a close, it's hard to think about what I'm going to be doing when I go home. The culture shock of going from living floors away from my friends, to miles apart is going to be hard. I'm so glad I've been able to keep myself busy, because I know that if I think about Hawaii, and UHM, too much that I will begin to feel more of this "sad bittersweet" feeling.

But like I said, this post isn't going to be like that! Instead, I am so eager to share with you all what I've been up to.

This past week, while it flew by, was another one full of new experiences! For starters, I registered for classes this past Friday. That's right, we're so close to the end of the semester that I'm even picking new classes. Can you believe it's already that time?! I feel like I should refer to this whole process as something "we've" done, because you guys have been reading since before move in day. Isn't that crazy? 

My spring lineup is one I'm very excited about. I'm giving myself a little break and starting later in the day, at 9:30, and ending a little earlier as well, 2:30. I'm taking another full coarse load (16 credits, one less than this semester) and am excited to be taking an Intro to East Asia class! The others are: Chinese 202, Math 100, Sociology 100 Honors, Science Honors, Intro to East Asia. Needless to say, I am very happy with this schedule. 

Also- I think it's worth mentioning that I was accepted into the Chinese Flagship Program at UH! For those of you that are unaware, the Flagship program is a way to achieve a deeper fluency in a certain language. At UH the only language with Flagship are Chinese and Korean. For me to be accepted is something I am very excited about, because I am required to study abroad and required to intern in China. While I don't really want to work in China, I'm still looking forward to being back and taking China all in once again. The only question is where I should study...

Next up, I went snorkeling for the second time! On Friday I went to Hanauma Bay with my friend Eric and, with my fins and mask, was able to snorkel in the Bay. For Hawaii residents and students, be sure to bring your ID with you and your admission is free. Granted, everyone has to sit through this 9 minute video about the bay, by bringing your ID you'll be saving around $7. Also, compared to Paradise Cove, Hanauma was a much different experience. The tide was relatively low and the waves were pretty rocky. As a pretty strong swimmer I think it's important to say that I struggled in the beginning. I was actually surprised with how claustrophobic I felt when I first went in. The longer I was in the water, and the more swimming I did, the easier it became breathing underwater. It was also a worrying how low the water was when all thats below you is coral. However, I'm glad I went so that I have a better idea of what time is best to go snorkeling. From the tide to claustrophobia, I can see how snorkeling may not be everyone's thing, but I've already made it clear I want to go again and this time to see turtles. Once we finished up at Hanauma we grabbed dinner and went back to campus. If you find yourself in the Hanauma Bay/ Koko Head area, a nice shopping complex down the road (like you're going to Waikiki) is where I would recommend getting something to eat. The options range from on-the-water dining to cheap sushi. 

While I don't have any pictures of me snorkeling I hope you enjoy some of what Hanauma looks like in the afternoon: 






I think the next time I go, if I go, will be when there's a higher tide. I would advise others do the same, as it's pretty daunting to go swimming in shallow water with only coral under you. 

Now onto today. Firstly, it was a rough start. I hate being "that person" but I overslept. I woke up to a phone call from my friend asking me if I was still interested in going, and, in my half sleep state, managed to stutter out a "just go without me". I absolutely hate when I sleep in and hate having people wait on me, so I made it clear she was more than welcome to leave and I would not be offended. However, to my surprise, she was very understanding and told me she would wait. I quickly got ready, I didn't even put in my contacts, and made my way downstairs and onto the craft fairs. We made very good time, which is expected because the locations were very near campus. I was able to score some great Christmas gifts, so as much as I would love to share photos of what I bought, I don't think it's going to be possible. Compared to the Swap Meet, these two craft fairs were much more personal and a lot less touristy. I'm not one to usually go to craft fairs, due to a lack of them where I come from, but I really liked these. I can't wait for the next one, as I might pick some things up for myself that day. The next thing I want to do is try out some of the farmers markets that are on Oahu. I've heard of a few, but I probably won't go to one until I get back. 

As for the rest of the weekend, I don't have any plans. In a way this feels weird, as usually the girls and I have plans made or at least an idea of what we want to do. Interestingly, the girls are all doing their own thing their week. I don't know what they're planing on doing tomorrow, as I feel like I haven't seen them in a while, but I would hope they invite me if they've got plans. I actually went back to their dorm the other night and studied with them. It was nice, but I couldn't stay longer than an hour. I felt like I was getting nothing done, so I called it a night and went back to my building. From there I worked on the roof and was able to get almost all of my Chinese homework done. Out of all of my classes Chinese is definitely the most demanding, so to get a lot of the work done was a great feeling. 

I hope you're all enjoying your weekend. 

Until next time,

Aislinn

You May Also Like

0 comments