Altitude Sickness

by - December 22, 2016

Hey everyone!

Amazingly, it has already been 6 whole days since I have last posted. I'm a little taken aback at how quickly time has seemed to pass by, but I can't say that I'm upset. I am so excited to return to Manoa that it is hard to be disappointed at the less time I have at home. Of course, this is not to say that I don't want to be home, but rather that I am simply excited to be going back.


In this post I wanted to give you guys an update on everything that I have been up to. Starting with, and I'm stating the obvious here, altitude sickness


I guess it was wishful thinking when I assumed I would be able to return home and be completely fine. I blamed my sleeping in to my 'jet lag' and referred to my daily headache as a reaction to the lack of coffee I have been drinking. The idea that altitude sickness could really be whats affecting me is something that never crossed my mind. However, we are halfway through day six of me being home, and even though I've managed to go without the nosebleeds and nausea, I couldn't help but lookup altitude sickness symptoms. 


Naturally, I have altitude sickness. 


As much as I was hoping to go without it, as of late it seems that all of my symptoms are that of altitude sickness. To try and combat the poor mood, I decided that I would go on a walk. I put on my parka, laced up my snow boots, and was off. 



I opted for the route I would walk to get to my high school, and decided to take advantage of the benches along the way. Placed overlooking the high school, neighborhood, and mountains, I stayed put for about twenty minutes (or until a few dogs tried to jump up there with me). Here is what my view looked like. 


Even with how much I had worn to keep myself warm, I still found my hands turning a bright red at an alarmingly fast rate. After the dogs ran over and sniffed me, I decided that I should head home. Not feeling much better, the goal was to take a nap and try and sleep off whatever is bothering me. Unfortunately by the time I made it home I was too frozen to think about napping, so I decided to lay down in front of the fireplace. 

Yesterday I met up with a friend and took a trip to Starbucks and Chick Fil A.  After that I went to the mall and scored my very own Colorado flag. I've been wanting one for a while now and I'm so glad I was able to find one! I can't wait to bring it back with me and take it on all the hikes I do. 

Later that evening my friends mom stopped by to, what I thought was, give me some clothes to bring back to one of the girls who had to stay on island. As the mom and sister were walking in I turned to leave, and when I heard my mom say, "Hey come on in!" I turned around once more and saw my friend walking through the door! I screamed, and we hugged for a bit before sitting down in the living room. I was so surprised to see her, but am so glad she made the effort to drive the hour to my house and surprise me. I plan on seeing the other girls this Saturday at a Christmas party. 

As for the rest of break, I plan on meeting up with another friend and going downtown Denver a few times. I have Christmas gifts I need to bring people back home, and am finding it extremely difficult picking out what I want to buy them. Fingers crossed I can find something nice while in Denver! Not sure if I'm going to post about what I find while on break, but we'll see. 

As for now, my family and I just got home from looking at Christmas lights. We went and grabbed Chick Fil A and drove around listening to Christmas music while admiring the decorations people have put up. 

With three more days until Christmas, I hope you are all having a happy holiday and a relaxing break. 



Merry Christmas and until next time,

Aislinn 

You May Also Like

0 comments