Top Five (Lesser Known) Must-Have Dorm Items

by - July 19, 2018

Hey everyone,

Where is the summer going? I can't believe its already July and soon will be August. As I look back on my two years I am reminded of where I was at two years ago: watching dozens of dorm hauls and trying to come up with the perfect list for my future room. Of course, going to school in Hawaii means that I can't buy anything beforehand, but this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I was able to open more time reflecting on what I want versus what I need. 
To help you out I have decided to compile my top five most used items that I highly recommend anyone, no matter the school, look into purchasing! 


Item One: A Quality Throw Blanket

Skip the accent pillow and opt for the versatile throw instead. As cute as those accent pillows are, in reality having a quality throw blanket that can work in both your bed and out in the quad is much more worth the money. This doesn't mean you need to go out and buy a blanket that is the staple piece of your room, but be smart about how you invest in it. For me, I went and search the children's section at target and went with a nice, soft blue blanket that I used in my freshmen room and the living room in my apartment for our movie nights. Shopping in the children's section saved me money and also left me with more of what I was looking for, simple colors that are meant for comfort and not style. 
Here is what my room looked like with the blanket. At first it was hard to get used to, given the humidity, but after a while I got used to it. 

The set up of my freshmen room
Not exactly in love with throws like mine? Try something a little more unique, like the falsa on amazon-- perfect for laying in the lawn and in bed!

Item Two: Paper Organizers
So often did I watch videos where the creator talked all about her cute notebooks and pencils but never once mentioned anything about storage. How crazy is that? If you're going to invest into quality  materials than it's only fair you spend as much time trying to find an organizer for all of the papers that you'll be getting back, because you will be getting papers back. 
I've had my eye on a few metal containers, but something I was gifted before I went off to school was a set of file folders. I've never used file folders before, but I quickly found that I could designate one folder per class and bam! just like that I had a place for all of my graded papers. Once I graduate I'm going to continue using a file folder, only I plan on upgrading to a metal structure. Here is an example of the ones I was given: 
Source: Erin Condren 2018 Collection

And here is what I hope to have post grad: 
Source: WorldMarket


Item Three: A Versatile Planner

Planners are a college essential, if you ask me. I use my planner to keep track of my classes, my meals, my workouts, my pay-days at work, and goals for my blog. I personally recommend the Happy 365 planner, but I've heard great things about Day Designer and Erin Condren, as well! 




Item Four: A Drying Rack

This item saved my butt on multiple occasions! A folding drying rack is perfect on those laundry days where you forget to load your card with enough for both a wash and dry. Mine was given to me by my friend Shannon and somehow I never got around to giving it back (rest assured I offered!). This is definitely a must that you won't think to buy but will wish you did at least once your first year. 



Item Five: An Over-the-Door Hanger Set



If you get anything out of this post, consider this to be your must-have. I cannot tell you how nice it was coming home and getting my shoes, sandals, and more off of the floor. Having an over-the-door rack for shoes can also double as an accessory holder for your hair dryer, curler, and more. You can even store some of your shower necessities in here, too! Trust me, the more space you can use on the door and wall, the more room you will have to walk around.

Happy shopping! Let me know what you recommend for your dorm that you forgot the first time around (or wish you had gotten!). 

Until next time,

You May Also Like

0 comments