Things To Do On Oahu This Month

by - February 04, 2018

Hey everyone!

As hinted at in my previous post, this month I wanted to do something a little different on this blog. This month, which can be looked at as the "pilot month" of sorts, will be kicking off a little mini-series on my blog. Once every month I will post a list of 3-5 things there are to do on Oahu. I'm really  excited for these kinds of posts, because I think many of us are over the honeymoon phase on Oahu and would like to get an idea of other things there are to do besides luaus and walking on Waikiki Beach!

Let's kick things off with a personal favorite: 

1. Kaka'ako

  Kaka'ako, or SALT, or POW! Wow Hawaii, is a street known for its hipster coffee shops bordered by gritty walls of art. Off-putting at first, this section of town is best for those seeking cute profile pictures, delicious coffee, and for anyone looking to get outside of Waikiki but still remain close by. The nearest mall, Ala Moana, is actually less than 2 miles away, however you wouldn't know it once in the area. 
  What makes Kaka'ako very unique is that every year artists gather and redo their murals. This year the walls are getting redone in February, which is why I suggest that if you're interested in seeing these impressive art pieces that you hurry down there soon. They can be rather spread out, but thankfully their website provides a useful map for navigating their collection of murals. Be sure to keep an eye out, because you might find little gems (Like a cute wall of plants!) hiding amongst the art. My personal favorite is the brightly painted wall of sprites, but this one from today is a close second:







2. Punahou Carnaval

  I'm sure many of us have fond memories of trips to festivals or carnivals growing up. Actually, I could just very well be an outlier in this case because I don't really remember a time ever having gone to one. However, whether you've been or not been, the Punahou Carnaval is one I hear people rave about consistently every year. 
  I won't lie to you guys, I had to do some more research on this. Turns out the Punahou Carnival is actually a fundraiser for the school itself. Lasting only two days, and running for twelve hours each day, the carnival is chalk full of malasadas, silent auctions, and white elephant prizes. Turnout each year is, in a word, impressive, and parking is limited. I haven't been yet, but I do plan on going within the near future!

3. KCC Farmers Market

  This is the one I am most excited to share with you guys, as it's going to be the next thing I cross off of my list of things to do! Every Saturday from 7:30-11am at Kapi'olani Community College (across the street from Diamond Head) and Tuesdays 4-7pm you can find dozens of local vendors selling handmade goods. From food to plants to souvenirs, I guarantee you will find at least a couple goods for those back home! My plan is to go this weekend and snag a plant or two, but who knows, maybe I'll pick up some taro bread or kimchi poke! 



I hope this sparked a little more interest in the things there are to do around Oahu that don't consist of high-end excursions or being back to back with tourists. Let me know what event you go to as well as if you've been to any of these before!

Until next time,

Aislinn

You May Also Like

0 comments