We're Back!

by - November 23, 2017

Hey guys,

The past few weeks have been, in a word: exhausting. The classwork is starting to pile up, work is starting to grow increasingly tedious, and I have absolutely no idea what any of my grades are! Now, one would think, that since I live on Oahu I'm always at the beach, yeah? Except thats not the case at all, I mean when Daniel was gone it was but now that he's back we have more important things to do, like shark diving!


YES! You heard that right, the two of us went on a pelagic dive, meaning no cage. 


It was just as terrifying as it was relaxing, and after the initial wave of claustrophobia that consumed me when I first went into the water, I soon found myself drifting along watching everything below me, alongside me, and above me. I wouldn't call it "humbling", but would instead call it a surreal experience. 


Of course, I could not go through this without ensuring that I would have plenty of pictures. True to my word, here is a collection of moments taken by Daniel.











In total we saw about 5 sharks, but I would argue more. They were, if I remember correctly, all Galapagos. There was also a period of time where we were fortunate enough to see some tuna swimming around, too. 

The galapagos, I learned, are very curious sharks. They will come right up to you with absolutely no fear, and are quick to swim over to whatever object is making either a sound or vibration in the water. Overtime the water got a little too still the sharks had a habit of dispersing, but the second the captain turned the boats motor back on they were quick to come swimming back. 


As weird a feeling as it was to be swimming in open water alongside sharks, it was also an unexpected feeling to become seasick. While not physically sick, there was a point where I became very nauseous and, thankfully, this coincided with the time we were leaving the water. According to our head diver, people get seasick because there are prolonged periods of time where you can't see anything, and thus, that lack of focus causes us to become very sick. 


Besides the shark dive, arguably our biggest adventure since Daniel's return, we also spent the week prior out camping! We decided to go camping at a nice beach called Bellows (you may remember it having been referenced in a previous post of mine). We pitched a tent, bought some poke, and enjoyed watching the sunset. I didn't take any pictures, but here is a nice little video of the waves crashing against the shore the following morning. 




We've also taken time out to go to a Korean temple, Mu Ryung Sa, Pali Lookout, and go fishing, because it's one of Daniel's hobbies. 


 




Our next adventure will be a rather big one for us: island hopping!


I sincerely hope you are enjoying all that I have been up to. Expect more posts now that I'm going to be out and about! 


Until next time,


Aislinn


You May Also Like

0 comments