Halloween in Hawaii

by - November 03, 2017

Happy Halloween everyone,

I'm very much excited for this post, as this is the first year I have, while in Hawaii, participated in Halloween.

I know that most people expect that once you hit that certain age that you will completely drop Halloween and hang up your costumes to instead pass out candy. However, I want to point out that the culture of Halloween, at least while in college, is completely different than the norm.

All day you'll see people walking around campus with their costumes or face paint. It's not considered "weird" and it's not frowned upon. I mean really, we live in Hawaii where some Polynesian males will walk around in their culture's own clothing, i.e. skirts. (The technical term: lava lava) And while my point is most definitely not to compare a costume to that of the lava lava, my point is that at Manoa it isn't weird to see people breaking "Mainland" norms.

While I didn't dress up all day, I was required encouraged to dress up at work, where the neighboring preschool would stop by to collect candy. Naturally, the group I work with had to go under the theme of: fruit. Given that this is a relatively difficult costume to get a hold of, I decided I would bite the bullet and DIY my costume.

Before I give it away, here's a picture of me (after work before I quickly changed) in costume. Can you guess what I am?


If you guessed watermelon, you're not along. You're wrong, but you're not alone. Contrary to that guess, I actually attempted creating a strawberry. I'll spare you the "Create Her Look" post, but for those interested in creating a quick, last minute costume, try making fruit. All it took was a large red shirt (plain), black fabric pen, and green felt.

Warning: this looks like something that would take you all but 5 minutes, but in fact it took me a good hour. So if you want to be cheap and commit an hour of your time to your costume, go for the fruit look.

After work I changed and went back into regular clothing. Unfortunately I have multiple exams to prepare for (Korean, Chinese, and Oceanography, respectfully) so I am choosing to stay inside, instead. 

I hope everyone had a good holiday. I do want to apologize for not posting much. Truth be told I'm back in my routine and haven't had much to post on. Here's hoping that changes.

Until next time,

Aislinn 

You May Also Like

0 comments