My Favorite Ways to Relax This Semester

by - April 03, 2019


Hey everyone!

I can't believe I'm saying it but we are only a few short weeks away from ending yet another year of college. I have truly not had a school year go by as fast as this years has gone. With that being said, I have had my fair share of moments these past few weeks where I feel more stressed than usual and itching for some time off. I wanted to come up with a few ways that would help us all destress during those weeks of tension and stress, and I hope you enjoy!

Tip #1: Start a Show

Alright, so I might be a bit subjective here, but I'm not someone who gets addicted to shows easily, so if you're one of those people who finds themselves falling in love with characters after the pilot episode then I might not recommend this to you. However, if you're like me then I highly recommend interrupting your hours of studying with a break spent watching either an episode of TV or youtube. I'm currently watching American Idol and am loving this season so far!

Tip #2: Settle Into Bed and Read

While I'm not an avid reader, I certainly know quite a few people who are and who swear by reading as a way to destress and unwind. I was recently suggested the book, "The Girls" and can easily say this book is going to be my go-to for the next few nights! Reading a book during times of stress, or even before bed, can help your body unwind and allows you to focus on one simple activity rather than have your thoughts racing all over the place. 

Tip #3: Play Around on Pinterest 

Maybe I'm hopping onto the bandwagon a little late here, but I have really been loving Pinterest lately. I find just mindlessly scrolling through the pictures to be relaxing and am confident that you will, too. Shameless plug here

Tip #4: Create a Mini-Oasis 

We all have our nightly routines, and if you think you don't then now is the perfect time to start one! For me, I always turn on my salt rock, light a few candles, and go through my skincare steps before bed. Once done, I finish up my homework and proceed to unwinding. I like to spray my room with the Auracacia "Pillow Potion" oil and follow up with wearing my vegan eye mask from La Aquarelle. It sounds extra, but this is another one of those pieces you need if you're seriously considering being sustainable, as it is naturally dyed (meaning your skin isn't going to absorb any nasty chemicals) and is filled with lavender to help you sleep better.  I love ending my days with these pieces because, once I'm laying down, I feel so much better and relaxed.


Tip #5: Listen to Relaxing Sounds

Kind of arbitrary, but hear me out on this one. If I'm really stressed, the kind of stress where I have an oncoming headache and can feel myself losing motivation, I put in my headphones and listen to sounds. Personally, I'm a fan of the sound of the beach, a thunderstorm, or just plain white noise. These sounds are perfect for creating a soothing ambiance in your environment and easily make me feel like I'm somewhere else. It sounds foolish, but whatever helps you is worth doing, and if you find that listening to the wind and rain helps soothe you, then by all means do it. 


There you have it! Those are my five tips on finding ways to ground yourself and relax. I wanted to give you some options that are less of me telling you to go to the gym and more of me being honest and real. Let me know in the comments if any of these tips helped you or if you unwind by doing something else! Let's all help each other through these last few weeks; you've got this!

You May Also Like

0 comments