So You're Thinking About Graduating Early...

by - March 27, 2019



Hello everyone!

Now, I understand that I haven't been very diligent in my posting, but I would like to make it known that I am graduating early (this fall!) and have been overcome with a lot of assignments as of late. However, I did want to end March on a good note and publish a few of my thoughts surrounding my upcoming graduation. 

First, I never thought I would be graduating early. In fact, I aimed to do college in the most traditional way as possible: finding out my first two years what I like, spend my third year abroad, graduate the fourth. But, along the way, my plans shifted and I found myself considering a change in direction. There have been a lot of changes, but I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and whatever changes I might go through have led me to ending my college career with two majors and plans to say goodbye to Oahu this December. 

Looking back, nothing at Manoa has really gone the way I had thought it would. But, if there's one thing I don't want to change, it's my graduation date. 

I'll be frank, my biggest motivator to graduating early is the financial gain. Why would I willingly dig myself into a deeper hole of student debt when I could instead graduate early by taking an extra class during my spring semester? Why would I choose to add more to the burden of debt when I could have just taken a summer class and sucked it up? Why would I want to sign away dozens of my future paychecks to pay something off that could have been avoided? Even more, why would I want to drag out my time here when I'm ready to move on? 

You all know I'm not one to shy away from how I'm feeling online. You are all familiar with the uphill battle I've had while attending this university. But I've chosen to allow these years to motivate me to try harder, do better, and get out quicker. And, quite frankly, I don't mind it. Taking 18 credits both semesters this year was rough. It is rough. But I believe that the payoff will be better than the fight, and what better payoff is there than by making the smart financial decision to cut out thousands in loans just by graduating early? It's funny, but one of the quotes I have always liked is: "Our present sufferings are not worth comparing to the glory at the end,". Most certainly mistranslated, by me, I look at this as a reminder that the hard work I put into my education now will pay off tomorrow. 

Believe me, I understand why students may want to take the full four years to graduate. I understand why some students take even longer than that. But I stand by my decision to graduate early. I am ready to get out of school and be done with classes. I am ready to start my life and see where I'll go next. It is an exciting time and I cannot wait. 

You May Also Like

0 comments