Practicing Self Care While Abroad

by - October 30, 2018


Hi everyone,

Having a consistent self-care routine is a must for anyone studying abroad, and in today's post I wanted to share with you all how I've been staying sane while abroad. It's required some patience on my end, but I know that without following this strict routine that I would likely be stressed out and looking a hot mess. Without further ado, here is how a typical day of self-care (abroad) looks like:

What is critical is having a solid, daily routine. Every morning I wake up at the same time, 6am, and immediately wash my face. I may not want to, but I know that its something I need to do to wake myself up and get started on my day. The farther into this semester I get the harder it seems to be to pull myself out of bed, but once I'm through washing I already feel better. 

After washing my face I slip my feet into my slippers and make my way to my desk, where I spend the next hour watching news, reality tv, and even some of my favorite youtubers (Was anyone else obsessed with Shane Dawson's series?). This relaxes me but also preps me for the day. It's an integral part of my morning because I give myself that much-needed time to unwind and decompress before hitting the ground running. 

The rest of the day is spent in class and out and about in the city. However, the latter part of my self-care comes in the form of my nightly routine. I know, I talk about this a lot, but I truly believe that this nightly routine has left me less stressed and more relaxed. 

After my shower I spend some time lounging in my silk robe and doing anything from nose sheets to applying serum. After waking up early and spending all day out and about, taking an hour out of my day to care for my face makes all the difference. I end my night by wearing an eye mask with a cooling pack inside, which helps my eyes de-puff and also allows the products on my face to absorb better. Trust me, nothing keeps my under-eye bags away like some good eye cream and a cooling eye mask!

If you're someone not into skincare, here are three other ways I prioritize self-care in my life:

1.  Take time to treat myself. I love bargaining, and I like to treat myself every so often with a trip to AP Plaza, where I got my silk robe. 
2. Drinking enough water. This is extremely important and I've found that by using different methods (games, different bottles, or even using tea sometimes to supplement water) I am able to trick myself into drinking more each day
3. Walking at least ten thousands steps each day, not so I can hit my daily goal but so that I can donate the steps on WeChat to a charity of choice. 

What do you think? Let me know down below what self care tricks you practiced while abroad! 

Until next time,

You May Also Like

0 comments