Golden Week in China

by - October 18, 2018

Hi everyone,

One of the biggest shocks to me while studying abroad was, of course, the sense of nationalism in China. It's not a very overwhelming presence, but there is an entire week dedicated to the founding of the People's Republic, so you could say that the Chinese people are very proud of their country and their history.  

In addition to being famous for political reasons, socially I believe this week is known for being extremely expensive for those who want to travel. It is advised not to go anywhere during this week because of how many people will be out and about. I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm only here for a short amount of time, so I decided to be one of the Chinese and do some of my own traveling: to the city of Chengdu.




Chengdu is the capital of the Sichuan province, located in the western part of the country and known for their spicy food, giant pandas, and difficult to understand dialect (四川话). For me, Sichuan will always be known as the place where I really grew to like China and the Chinese language. Our time was short, but in the few days there we got to see old friends and family, try our favorite foods, and even get a taste of fall in China. 

It's hard to pick highlights when you look back on the week and remember it was a blur, noting how I had only spent three days there makes me question how I was even able to get as much done as I did. But, realistically, I know it's because of the people I surrounded myself with who were just as determined as I was to take advantage of the opportunity. 

From celebrating my birthday in a "Pink concept cafe", to seeing giant pandas at the Chengdu Research Base, going back to Chengdu was a decision I am so glad to have made. Did we stretch ourselves out too thin? Probably. Did we enjoy being back? Most definitely. In fact, I would go back in a heartbeat if I could. 


Until next time, 

You May Also Like

0 comments