My Workout Routine: What Works and What Doesn't

by - April 10, 2018

Hey everyone!

If you've kept up with me throughout this semester than you're probably more aware of my fitness goal than those who have not (or who have just started reading!). While this resolution of mine originally began as a New Year's Resolution, I have found that working out has positively changed many aspects of my life throughout this semester. Before I get too ahead of myself, I want to share with you all what my workout routine is while also sharing what worked for me and what didn't. 


First, I committed myself to going to the gym at the very beginning of the semester for only an hour a day M-F. I quickly learned that the weights were the key to seeing a difference, and through consistency I found myself, within six weeks, having built up both strength and endurance. Consistency is key, everyone! You cannot go a few times a month and expect to see some sort of miraculous result. If there is one thing I can guarantee it's that consistency makes the difference


Because I like the weight room more than the cardio track, I have taken to ending my workouts in this room. But, during those initial six weeks, I started my workout down at the weights. Personally I don't think where you begin matters, just working out does! For the record, I do about 5 reps and change the set to fit the machine, so it varies from 15 sets to 20. 


My hour starts at the leg press. At the beginning of the semester I was doing 85 pounds and about 50 reps. At my peak I was doing 110 pounds for 100 reps, but I took a brief break and now am working on 100 pounds and 50 reps. This machine is my personal favorite because this is where I've seen the biggest difference! It is also, in my opinion, the easiest machine to use. 


The next machine I work with is the leg curl. I've found that the leg curl is a little more difficult to do (very strange but it's true!) and so I can only do about 70 pounds and 45 reps. For the record, I do about 5 reps and change the set to fit the machine, so it varies from 15 sets to 20. Quite clearly there is a mcc larger gap using this machine than the leg press. 


The last machine I work with is the glute press. This is my least favorite machine and I don't work out with it as much, but for the six weeks I was very much committed I worked on this quite diligently. However, I can't deny that I can work better with heavier weights,  so because of that I'm able to use 90 pound weights on this specific machine. All around I believe this puts me at 30 minutes, give or take. I don't like to rush my time on the machines, but sometimes I finish a certain machine earlier than the previous ones. 


After my time in the weight room I like to cool off with a run on the upstairs track. I do a brief warmup (7 min) and go another 13 minutes afterwords. For the warmup I don't have a specific MPH that I prefer, but when I'm onto the actual run I prefer to go anywhere between 6.5-7mph. I've learned that anything less than 6 feels "too slow" and I actually like the page of a 6.5, so only during my runners high will I strive to pace myself faster than that! While I wish I could say this was a "cool down", unfortunately the fans on the treadmills don't work well, in some cases not at all, and I find that this exercise keeps my heart pumping. I strive to go about 2 miles in those 13 minutes, and it is what keeps me going throughout my run. 

The very last step to my regime is a brief climb on the stairs. I don't mind the stair master, but it's most definitely not an exercise that I swear by. If I had to, those would be the weights. However the stairs get me sweating so there has to be some legitimacy to them! Depending on how I feel I will either do a 5 minute or a 10 minute climb, both ranging from the 5 level to the 7 level. Because I don't swear by them I don't want to tell you which is better, because truthfully I don't think this is the machine that you will be guaranteed to see results with. But that's just me.

While I've mentioned it before, one good option for a cool down would be to attend classes at the yoga studio across campus (or anywhere, for that matter!). I spent the first few weeks supplementing my workouts with 2 sessions of "ray yoga": half vinyasa and half meditation. Unfortunately the class is no longer in session and I haven't been going as often, but for those looking for a way to cool down that doesn't require a machine, yoga and/or meditation is my suggestion for you! 

So there you have it. That is the workout that I swear by and the weights the have helped me lose close to 5 pounds in this semester alone! I hope you've found this a little helpful or a little inspirational.

Until next time,

Aislinn 

You May Also Like

0 comments