Options Abroad: Study Abroad vs Exchange

by - April 24, 2018

Hey guys!

If you haven't already read, or seen, I have been officially accepted into a study abroad program. I didn't realize it, but studying abroad comes with so much more paperwork and requirements than I realized! Because of this lack of communication on all parts, which isn't necessarily bad but is something people should know, I'm going to be sharing with you guys what my process is like as well as the dates and deadlines for all packets!

To start, at UH Manoa students have quite a while to turn in their paperwork. Because I'm going abroad in the fall of this year, my paperwork is due in the spring. After turning in your application, which consisted of: a quick questionnaire, $30 application fee, brief essay, and three recommendation letters. After these parts get turned in the acceptance, or denial, will be released approximately two weeks after turning in the application. 

Upon getting your acceptance, students will have one week to turn in their first two packets (out of 4) and this includes: waiver forms, release forms, $500 non-refundable deposit, room preference, etc. I'm not going to lie, these two packets were very dense and very overwhelming. I definitely would not advise to wait until the last minute to fill them out, as some of the forms may require witnesses and even a notarization. 

In addition to paperwork you will also need to attend a handful of mandatory meetings. My first meeting is coming up and will be approximately 5 hours. That's just one of four! I'm not sure how long the other program's meetings are, because it all depends on where you're going and when. 

For students going to China, I want to make it a point to tell you that you may have visa problems arise. For me, I have the L visa, the visa specific for tourists. I can enter China for 60 days at a time and can go back anytime over 10 years. Now, however, there is apparently a new policy that requires students obtain an X visa, the visa specific for students. This has caused some tension for me because, to put it simply, I had been told numerous times that I would be "fine with the 10 year visa, other students in the past have gone with it and it's been okay". I understand that rules change, but how convenient is it to tell students after they paid the $500 non-refundable fee. It's frustrating, but something you have to deal with.   

The information is stressful, but I promise the more you turn in the easier it gets. Of course, you are bound to have complications throughout the process, but so far I have found the study abroad center to at least be timely in their responses. 

Until next time,

Aislinn

You May Also Like

0 comments