Happy Spring...Cleaning?

by - March 20, 2018

Hello everyone!

I guess I spoke too soon, as the weather on this island has once again turned grey and cold. As of late I have been inspired by those on the mainland, who I envy for enjoying the spring weather, to embrace all that comes with the spring, including cleaning. 


Don't be mistaken, I'm a very organized person, but I have my days where I feel so overwhelmed by what I have that I feel, more often than not, it would be easier just to purge all of my things and start over. 


Anyone else?


To combat this I have decided to do a "Spring Cleaning Guide for College Students". I understand how hard it is to let things go, especially when you think "Well I used ___ last year, maybe I will use it again next semester!" but in reality, lets face it. If you haven't used those objects in the past semester, odds are you're not going to use them anytime soon. With only a month and a half left of school, this is the perfect time to clean your space and prepare for the next semester. It's not going to be easy, but keep in mind that the room you have next year will thank you for the lack of clutter you bring along with you.


My case is a little different. I'm going to be studying abroad next semester, and because of this, I am needing to look ahead at what I would need an entire year from now. At first the idea of spring cleaning was rather daunting, but now that I have realized the need for it I no longer feel so intimidated. 


First, look at what you have around your room. You need to start with what you see rather than what you don't. Organize your space and then look for those things that either seem out of place or just unneeded. Those books on your shelf that haven't touch since you've been gifted them? Put them in a box and set them aside. Besides harboring too much dust for comfort, they also take up space that, lets face it, would better off hold something else. What else do you see? Decorations such as picture frames or lights are other good things to consider sending home. Decorations are cute, and they help add personality to your space, but think about what you want your space to look like next year. This is crucial, because what you leave behind in storage is what you're going to have to use next year, and if you would rather send those photos home and opt for less decorations next year. Personally, the photos I hung up in my freshmen dorm no longer serve me the same purpose now as they once did. For this reason I will be taking them (and the 3 yards of twine and 50 clothespins) home with me.


Once you have those things gathered, decide where you're going to put them. Are you wanting to donate them? Send them home? Throw them out? There's nothing wrong with whatever you choose to do, but keep in mind the cost of shipping and whether or not you think someone else will get use out of those things.

Next, and bear with me now, you need to target those "catch-all" places in your room. Yes, we all have that space where you've shrugged your shoulders and said "Eh, I'm sure I'll find a place for it," but still haven't. Listen to me, the phrase: out of sight out of mind, is too real for college students. I have both a junk drawer and a storage bin with things I have come to realize that I don't need. This, of course, is one of the harder things to go through, because you will undoubtedly be battling thoughts like "Oh yeah! I could always use this for that one project I wanted to do," or "This would look really cute if I did this...maybe I do need it after all." And it is at that point that I wish I could shake you by the shoulders and scream No! You don't need those things! I know it's hard, but I swear it's what you don't see that you hold on to more than anything. This is what I'm keeping in mind as I clean, and I hope that helps you, too! 

I hope you are all doing well. I hope my advice was helpful and that you were able to learn at least a little something! Happy spring cleaning, everyone!


Until next time,

Aislinn 

You May Also Like

0 comments