The First Week Is Done!

by - August 28, 2017

Hey everyone,

Can I just say that this past week has felt like a lifetime? And then some? I didn't realize how slow syllabus week was until it was Thursday and we we finally getting into some of the material. I think part of it is because of how little time I have to go off-campus during the week, but also because half of my classes are introductory courses, meaning we won't really get into the "good stuff" until a little bit into the semester.

Overall I feel like my first week was alright. My global politics class is dragging, but I really think that's because the professor has to cover the basics of politics before we can get into the actual "global" part. This is also an intro course, so it makes sense that we're learning the dry material now, because without it I'm sure the course would be much harder to understand and follow along with. 

My science class, oceanography, is also pretty dry. In similar fashion to that of my Global Politics class, we have to learn all about the history of oceanography before we can get into present-day oceanography. Right now we're studying Polynesian travel, which is actually quite interesting. The lab itself seems like it's going to be pretty relaxed, too. The two hour lab meets only once a week, and I'm very thankful for that. 

As far as language classes go, and I'm sure you've all been looking forward to my review of the Chinese class, I would have to say I'm pretty satisfied. Granted, Chinese could be more fun, but I've come to terms with the fact that it isn't Chinese itself that isn't fun, but the way the professor teaches. Again, I've noticed that she isn't employing powerpoint (or notes for that matter) and has just taught orally. I'm hopeful that this semester I'm going to vastly improve, but I'm trying not to think too far ahead. I just need to focus on the present and try and make as fast an improvement as I can--something that is much easier said than done. 

Unlike Chinese, Korean class is a lot of fun! There's only about 11 students in my class, and while it's relatively quiet, I really appreciate the effort the teacher is putting in trying to get us to know one another. The class is about half boys and half girls, and I think we've actually all had prior exposure to Korean before (even if it be through dramas) which could explain how we're all picking up the language so quickly. I also really like the pace of this class; it's been so long since I was in a 100 level language class that I forgot how slow it could be! I have absolutely no complaints about this class. 

My only other class is "China's Political Economy". I had high hopes for this class, I really did, but I'm a little disappointed in the way the class was executed during its first week. The professor could not, or rather, had a very difficult time explaining the course objectives to us and very few students understand what the homework and projects for the semester will be. When she passed out the syllabus, it's worth mentioning that it wasn't a finished copy. Instead, we were given an edited and full-of-corrections syllabus that is extremely difficult to understand. I'll post a picture for reference. 



As you can see, I had to actually go through the syllabus myself and cross out a lot of it just so that I could understand what I was reading. This is actually a very..tame page. There are some pages where there is more annotation than actual information. And not to spoil anything, but I still don't understand what this syllabus is trying to say. I hope to see the professor during her office hours and try and get a better gauge of what she's asking of me, but if she is still not of any help then I'm going to try going to the undergrad advisor and seeing if he's dealt with this before. 

Outside of school my weekend was also pretty eventful! On Saturday I met up with a great family friend, Sara, who took me to hike Koko Head with her. I'm proud to say that it only took me 34 minutes and I only had to stop a few times! When we went hiking it was actually noon, so if you're planning on climbing these steps then I urge you to please go either in the early morning or late evening. You do not want to be doing this when it's 85 degrees and the sun is directly overhead. 

On Sunday the girls and I, plus our neighbor, drove to China Walls to swim. The waves were a little rough, but the water felt great. I jumped from the top wall, thanks to the help of a local, and climbed out with no scrapes or bruises. The views of the island when you're along the edge of it are so beautiful that it was impossible not to ask Tammy if she could take a picture. This was the view to the right of the walls. 




While I do complain about classes, I have to say I'm overwhelmingly grateful to be back here and living with two of my best friends. I'm putting myself out there more than I did last year and trying to do, and see, as much as I can. I can only hope that this year I don't have the Sophomore Slump, and that I'm able to accomplish everything that I want to. 

Until next time,

Aislinn 

You May Also Like

0 comments