Returning to the Island

by - August 20, 2017

Hey guys!

Hard to believe we're heading back, right? Just like that, three months have passed and we're on our way to starting our second year of college.


I must admit, there is quite a lot to look forward to this year. For one, I'm finally going to be learning Korean. Second, I'm taking political science classes instead of business (something I'm very excited for). And, most surprisingly, this year is most likely going to be my last year taking Chinese. 


Yes, you read that right. This year will most likely be my last year of learning Chinese. 


It's something that I've debated on for quite a while, but I have come to the conclusion that I really don't want to put myself through that kind of pressure. Chinese 201 was an easy-going, laid-back class that was a complete opposite to 202. In a word, I hated 202. More than that, I loathed going to that class. To me, more than just enjoying college, I want to go to college to study something I'm excited to learn more about. I want to go to college and be eager to go to class. I don't want to go to class with my heart racing because I'm absolutely terrified to sit down, I don't want to go to a class where, even with 2 hours of voluntary tutoring, I still don't feel prepared. And I especially don't want to go to a class that I don't want to take. 


In short, these reasons, among others, are some of the reasons why I'm relieved to not be taking Chinese anymore. Fortunately, with the 200 level already completed I have decided to minor in Chinese instead. Minoring in Chinese means that this year will be my last year taking Chinese. From here on out I will just be required to take culture and linguistic classes. I'm sad that the Chinese language program is so cut-throat, but I would rather figure this out sooner than later. If there's an interest, maybe at a later time I can make a post comparing the East Asian Languages at Manoa, to perhaps give incoming students an idea at how each one holds up. While sad, this is not the end of Chinese. I'm still going to study abroad in China and I'm still going to use it as much as I can. With how much work I've put into learning this language I think it would be a shame to stop using it altogether.


Language classes aside, I can't put into words how excited I am to go back! I can't wait to be back with my friends, back in better weather, and back on my little rock. My first year holds so many fond memories that I can't wait to see how much better this year is for me. Quite honestly, I have a really good feeling about this year. I will try to keep finances out of my posts, but at least from a numerical aspect, this year is going to be a lot less stressful. I especially look forward to going out with my friends and not thinking to myself "But if I don't get the drink then I could put the $2.50 towards tuition...".


Speaking of, there has been a slight change of plans on the apartment for next year.

For those curious, I'm going to be living in one of the on-campus apartments. While not as chic (or clean) as the Freshmen Towers, the apartments offer students a chance to live a little more independently than they previously could. I want to stress, however, that there are multiple kinds of rooms and buildings one can choose from. For the sake of my blog, and because this is what I'm most familiar with, I'm going to be sharing what it's like living in the Co-Ed Quad.

Originally there were four of us (myself, Bella, Tammy, and Jade) living in the apartment. However, as fate would have it, Jade is no longer able to return to Manoa. In respect to her, and because it's not my story to share, I won't be sharing the details. Instead, we will be getting a replacement roommate. We're not sure who she/he will be, but I hope that they're someone who is clean, quiet, and polite. 

When this post goes up I will already be on island and unpacking. Please look forward to my next posts! 

Until next time,

Aislinn 

You May Also Like

0 comments