The RA Interview

by - February 24, 2017

Hey everyone!

I'm writing this post to address some questions I'm sure you all have since reading my last post.

Yes, I am applying to be an RA. 

I want to start by saying that I do not know when I will hear about a decision. But just like everything else, I do want to walk you guys through the process, as I'm sure that this is something many of you will consider. 

I applied beginning of January, shortly after arriving back to Hawaii. The application was simple and straightforward- tell us why you want to be an RA and list your housing preferences. Of course there was also some what-would-you-do kinds of questions, but they were not meant to be lengthy, I believe the max was around 500 words per question? 

Once the application was completed you were then required to submit two teacher recommendations. I opted for my Chinese teacher and my Honors advisor. I would suggest that you pick teachers that know you well. That are either familiar with your work ethic (such as my Chinese teacher) or some of your goals (such as my Honors advisor). This is exactly the same as getting recommendations for college applications, only this time I would not ask teachers you had in high school. Don't even consider them an option- you are no longer at that school and you should not be reaching out to them for recommendations. 

Once you have your references your application will be ready to submit! The wait period was a little longer than expected, but around the month and a half (this all depends on when you submitted your application) you will receive an email if you've been given an interview. 

I would like to point out that, based on my understanding, not everyone gets an interview. This is the next step in the process, and just means that you stood out enough for them to want to inquire more about you. This is exactly like when you applied to your colleges and got offered an interview from a representative. 

I received my email about a week ago and scheduled it for today at 3pm. While every school will vary, my interview said it would last about 60 minutes. 

For the record, this is being posted immediately following my interview. 

My interview lasted about 30 minutes, give or take. I was on one side of a table and was faced with two women sitting across from me. They were both very kind and started the interview by asking me to go into detail about who I am. The questions varied in simplicity but were all pretty easy to answer. Then, when I had finished, they asked if I had any questions. They told me I was then free to go, and off I went. 

I think overall the interview is not something to stress too much over. Yes, it's important, but if you've ever had a job interview then you should have an idea of what to expect. They do ask you some 'what would you do' type questions, but there's nothing that they ask that you shouldn't already know. For example, you should at least know why you want to become an RA. 

From here the next step is a group interview on Sunday and, after that, I wait. The decision will then be released on March 20th (!!!) 

I will be sure to keep you all updated. Enjoy the weekend!

Until next time,

Aislinn

You May Also Like

0 comments