The Manoa Experience

by - February 27, 2017

Hey everyone!

Today was The Manoa Experience, which I have been eagerly awaiting to post about since I've started school. The Manoa Experience is a time where all newly admitted students are able to come and learn more about UH.


The day consists of campus tours, Art & Flea, and a fair where the clubs and majors come together with booths and explain more about who they are.


The girls and I started with the fair, which began at the registration booth right outside of Campus Center. From there we passed Art & Flea and began looking at the different booths. Immediately upon entering you're greeted with tons of different things which range from the public safety booth to the financial aid booth. We choose to skip all of these given that we were already attending the school. However, they were very popular among the prospective students and their families.


Once past the initial booths you will begin to notice more signs regarding majors to pick from and clubs to join. We stopped at the JABSOM (Med school) booth, Marine Biology booth, and Chinese Flagship booth. We also made sure to stop at the photo booth and get a photo strip of us proudly showing off Manoa merch. I also want to share that at one of the booths (I believe Marine Biology) I was able to hold a chameleon! It was really cool but they were quick to point out that here in Hawaii chameleon are an invasive species. 





Of course, if you're not interested in these booths, don't get too discouraged. There were dozens of booths that included most every field. 


Here are some pictures that, hopefully, give you a good idea at how many people were in attendance. Keep in mind that I went at around 12, but this had been going on from 11-2. Also don't forget that there were tons of students in the dorms getting tours, too!




  






 




Afterwords I had to get to work, so unfortunately the rest of my day was spent in that regard. Once done, I made sure to rush back home and try lounging around. 

Then, as luck would have it, I was woken up at 4 am due to another fire alarm. This was the second fire alarm in a row and, needless to say, many students were upset. My roommate and I agreed that if it happens again we won't be leaving our rooms. 12 flights of stairs is just too much to walk down if it's not for a real fire. 


Once I went back to bed (and woke up a few hours later) I found myself preparing for my second, and last, RA interview. 


In short, this interview was in the form of a group, meaning myself and four others would be completing tasks together during our hour. Surprisingly, one of the four others didn't show up, which means he is automatically disqualified. This left the four of us (in total) to work through two activities during our interview. One was building a tower and the other was picking, from a list, who to give a heart transplant to and why. Once completed we were then dismissed.

By now it was 4 and I knew there was no chance of me making it to the beach before the sun went down. I was disappointed, as I haven't been sun bathing in what feels like so long, but I decided to make better use of my time and go to church. 

I haven't been to church since the Christmas mass back home, but lately I've been feeling like it's something I need to do. I arrived about 30 minutes early and attended the 5pm mass. I didn't go to the church on campus but back to the one in Waikiki. When mass was dismissed the sun was just starting to set, so Waikiki beach looked a beautiful dusty rose. 

I would say that this weekend was a very eventful one. I wasn't able to leave campus besides church, so I'm kind of disappointed in that aspect. However, this weekend I have Saturday off, so I'm really hoping to get to the beach that day. I really want to go back to Electric Beach, but I might just go back to Waikiki. 


I hope everyone is having a good week.

Until next time,

Aislinn

You May Also Like

0 comments