Day One

by - August 13, 2016

Aloha everyone!

As my first day in Hawaii has drawn to a close, I figure it would be best to share a few things my mom and I have done.

First, it's worth mentioning that we slept for a total of 12 hours. After being awake for more than 27 hours we ended our day by going to sleep at 7 and not waking up until 7 the next morning. Something you'll figure out very quickly is that there really is no jet lag here. Try and stay awake as long as you can and sleep during your plane ride over here. Luckily in our cases the plane ride was perfectly inline with Hawaii's time, meaning that we could sleep on the plane and wake up the same time as everyone else on the island.

Second, we left very early to go to the university. Not after eating at an I-Hop, of course. (Mom got the french toast combo whereas I opted for a classic pancake combo. She says it's worth noting that the fruit was so fresh she wouldn't mind having that for a meal.) At the university I found the buildings to be pretty run-down. While the campus isn't brand new, I did get the feeling that the buildings, and surrounding area, could use a remodeling. Or at least a pressure wash. After arriving mom and I head off to meet with my advisor, whom afterwords we both agreed was a very funny and welcoming man. Next at our campus stop was the Student Center, where I would set up a bank account as well as get my ID. After finishing those two things (which maybe took an hour in total? The bank was the longest thing we did.) We went downstairs to the bookstore where I was able to score a nice long sleeve. I know their hoodies are tempting, but if you're going to be attending the school than it's not too smart of an investment. With the day to day humidity and a typical temperature of 80, there's really no point in buying a fleece lined jumper that you really only think you're going to wear. Just don't do it.

We ended our trip on campus by walking to the East West Center so we could see the famous "China Through the Lens of John Thomson, 1869-1872". On display are dozens of photographs Thomson took during his stay in China, and the most interesting part about them is how real they are. Interestingly enough, Thomson's photos are some of, if not the, first pictures ever really taken in China. And in many cases he was the first white man many Chinese had ever seen. If you ever get the chance to see the exhibit, whether at Manoa or at it's home in London, I would recommend going and learning about it.

The day was then spent with some more walking in downtown Waikiki and followed by a dinner at PF Chang's. Afterwords there was a fireworks show on the beach which mom and I got to watch.


Hawaii is interesting, to say the least. To be honest I don't really see the appeal of coming here for a honeymoon and am also lost as to why so many Australians are here. It's certainly not a cheap place to go and many stores are high-end ones you can go to anywhere.



Until next time,

Aislinn




You May Also Like

0 comments