Self Love & Sustainability

by - February 19, 2019

Hey everyone,

I hope you all have a great holiday this past week. On my end, I was able to get caught up on some homework and, since watching Marie Kondo's "Tidying Up", I was even inspired to organize up bits of my dorm room. 

In doing all of this, I realized that I tend to place emphasis on things that either don't matter or are simply bad for the environment. I've shared a few of my goals for the new year on here before, but this time around I really want to take charge with controlling more of the things I carry with me and want to strive to be more sustainable. I have teamed up with some amazing companies and hope that you will be inspired by each of the brands I work with and aren't as afraid to be more sustainable in your own life! 

Sustainable Option #1: A (Cute) Reusable Cup



This was the first major change I made in my day-to-day life, and I honestly don't regret it at all. I am a huge fan of hydro flasks and when I saw the tumblr that Angie, shop owner of "Simply JLynn", made I knew I had to have it in my life. What I love about reusable cups is that they are portable, easy to customize, and, in some ways, more versatile than traditional cups. In some instances, stores will even give you a discount for using your own mug. For those times when you want to grab a quick cup of coffee but don't want to lug your heavy water bottle, I highly suggest buying a tumblr. The one I have is the personalized tumblr cup, viewable HERE, with initials in the rose gold color with the interlocking script. I can't stress enough how much I love this cup and how many compliments I have gotten with it around campus. For those of you more interested in hot drinks, HERE is a link to one of her mugs I am obsessed with!   

Sustainable Switch #2: Aromatherapy Candles

Top: The "Sweet Dreams" candle. Notes of lavender, vanilla, and an amethyst crystal.
Bottom: The "Youniverse" candle. A combination of rose petals, jasmine, and a rose quartz crystal. 

Believe it or not, many scented candles contain ingredients that release tons of harmful chemicals into our air; some of which end up ingested into our bodies. To name a few, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, and lead are all popular chemicals that have harmful side effects (Source: Molekule Blog) to our environment. In my search for new ways to care for myself, I wanted to find more natural, safer ways to clean the air around me and through this found that candles with a soy wax are healthier for the air and your body (because, hello, you're not inhaling those gross toxins!). Even more, companies are beginning to employ essential oils and even crystals into their candles. Using essential oils, rather than unnatural scents, are overall safer for you and also help to create a more enjoyable experience. Now when it comes to crystal candles, I'm no expert by any means, but I do know that many people believe in the power of crystals and their properties. Whether you do or don't, the nice thing is that companies like The Divine Femme include an informational sheet on the crystals and oils in their candles, ensuring you learn a little something with each purchase. Even better, companies like The Divine Femme are entirely self-supported, meaning each purchase goes directly into helping support a small business. What's better than supporting small businesses rather than large corporations? 

Sustainable Switch #3: Laundry Dryer Balls

Now, in the spirit of sustainability I wanted to share with you my new holy-grail: dryer balls. Rather than spend my money on dryer sheets that I'm likely going to use once and just toss, I have decided to invest into dryer balls. They come in various forms, ranging from wool to plastic, and can be reused for years. Depending on which you try, you might find that they reduce static, help speed up drying time, and are safer for your clothes. I personally use two dryer balls from target, but have not used them enough to say if I've noticed a difference. HERE is a link to view the most popular one on Amazon, where you can learn more about the benefits to switching to dryer balls. 
How are you making strides to being more sustainable? While only three, I hope this post inspired you to make switches to the things you drink out of, wash your clothes with, and even decorate your space with. Next week I hope to tackle clothing, and how I am choosing to be more sustainable in my fashion choices! This hasn't been easy, but it has certainly been eye opening! 

Until next time, 

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. How have I NEVER heard of dryer balls??? I'm making the switch!
    - Amanda
    www.amandadalvarado.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I def agree with the switch to reusable cups! I even keep a backup in my car for impromptu Starbucks runs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently started my pursuit of all things reusable cups and already have 6! No shame! Great post!

    ReplyDelete