Being "White" in China

by - November 13, 2018

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I was asked what my thoughts are on "being white in China". I've thought about how I should answer this for quite some time, as I believe this is a question many will have but few might voice. For weeks I have sat back and watched various American news channels and media make claims about Chinese people, and today I want to address how I am treated in China-- exclusively as a white, blue-eyed, blonde haired American female. 

First, Shanghainese people do not care that you're foreign. Shanghai is an extremely diverse city and, with that, comes the fact that many foreigners will be here alongside you. Shanghainese people do not treat me any differently than they do Indian, Korean, and Japanese people. In Shanghai, people do not look twice at me. People do not care about my fair skin and blonde hair. People do not gawk at me like I am some foreign object. Shanghainese people especially do not discriminate against me in stores or at school. Contrary to what you may think, Shanghainese people are not defensive, aggressive, or even ignorant towards me. Shanghai is a huge city, and everyone here is too busy worrying about what they need to get done to even think about what I'm doing. 

Second, knowing the language makes the biggest difference as a foreigner in China. I don't know the Shanghainese dialect, but this doesn't mean I can't still speak standard Mandarin. By choosing to speak the national language, I set myself apart from those who assume they can get away with English. Contrary to what you might think, that is what the Chinese people don't like about foreigners. You cannot come to another country, especially China, and expect to get by using only your language. The least you, as a foreigner, could do is learn some Mandarin and do your best to communicate with them. This step alone has made all the difference, and by communicating in Chinese I am able to break down some of those barriers and have an easier time here. 

Third, China is huge. Sure, cities like Shanghai and Beijing are more modern and familiar to outside faces, but the farther inward you go is where you'll likely meet people who have never, or rarely have, seen foreigners. Again, in cities like Chengdu, I have never been treated poorly for looking different. People are more curious and inquisitive about who I am and why I am in China, but this is not done so in a rude manner. Instead, I will have shop owners looking at me through their store windows as I walk by, school children wanting to practice their English with me, and even older ladies giving me their grandchildren to hold because want pictures of their grandchildren with foreigners. Chinese people, no matter where I have gone, have never treated me negatively. I would even argue that the farther away from the cities I went, the nicer I would be treated. 

As an American in China, simply put, I am treated just like everyone else. People are not bending over backwards to help me or putting up a wall because of my nationality. Chinese people have been nothing but kind to me, contrary to what American media likes to portray. 

Do not be afraid to come to China because of your nationality, appearance, or level in the language. The Chinese I have met have all been gracious to me and welcomed me with open arms. I hope this showed you just a little bit of the welcoming nature of Chinese people. 

Until next time,

You May Also Like

0 comments