Semester One Top 3

by - December 30, 2017

Hey everyone!

I decided to try something new this semester and make a post fittingly titled, "Semester One Top 10". In this post I will cover the top 3 most impactful things that have happened to me, both good and bad.  And, quite honestly, this has something which has been in my drafts for quite a while now; so I'm very excited to finally be sharing this post with you all. As my last post in 2017, what better way to end it than by sharing the things that made me, me?


1. I found out what I really want in a school...or, I'm figuring out what I really want in a school. This year was a rather rocky one when it came to learning more about Manoa and what the school is actually like, and I had many days where I wanted to leave this island and many days where you couldn't drag me off. At this point in time, I can say that I haven't given much thought to transferring. Instead, I've looked more into studying abroad. I realized that transferring would make it more likely that I wouldn't be able to go abroad, whereas staying at Manoa guarantees it. Manoa is by no means perfect, but it's hard to beat the number on the price tag. Furthermore, in talking about my concerns with Daniel, I think he brought up a really good point which was, "Wherever you go you're bound to find the bad things. Every student at every school after two years can tell you at least a handful of things they don't like about their school. It's something that doesn't change even if you transfer, because in two years you could very well be back to disliking wherever else you end up,". I never looked at transferring, or even Manoa, like this, so having heard this I realized that it could have very well been the people and academia that have led me to the feelings I felt weeks ago. Regardless, Manoa is a place that I really hope I can learn to love again, especially in 2018.

2. I realized who my real friends are and the kinds of people I want to surround myself with. This is sounding like I'm beating a dead horse, and for that reason I won't reiterate why I moved out and why I no longer will be friends with my old roommates, but I will say this: In 2017 I thought I had a group by my side who would be there throughout everything. Understandably things changed, classes got harder, people got more stressed, and along the way I realized that the people I had been surrounding myself with are not the kinds of people I want to associate with. I strive to build relationships with those who will encourage, support, and stand by me. In 2017, especially the latter half, I realized that I was tired of being in an environment where I wasn't being supported or treated like a best friend should be treated. I moved out, became closer to the people around me, and have a new perspective on everything around me now that I am in a place where I feel welcome and comfortable. In 2018 I can only hope to make friends with girls who lift me up, encourage me through my hard times, and stand by me through my good times. 

3. I met Daniel and found that Oahu really isn't as big as I had thought. With Daniel by my side, I have seen so much more of this island, this ocean, and this state, than I would have ever dreamed possible. Late nights in Kahala Beach playing with bioluminescence and looking at the stars from tiny little bungalows, driving hours West to Kaena Point just to catch a brief glimpse of the sun one last time for that day, holding hands throughout Sunday mass because we understand that in that one hour we are not there for ourselves but for Him, gifting him with a cage free shark dive off the shores in Haleiwa, and flying to Maui to spend our first holiday together are just some of the many many ways we have come to know one another. In 2018 I hope and pray that we will have many more adventures together and that we can learn to take our time together not for granted. 

I hope that as the year 2017 winds down that everyone is no longer feeling the holiday stress that we all felt so few days ago. I hope that you all continue to enjoy your vacations or holiday break, and that throughout it all you are excited for what the new year has to offer. 

Until next year,

Aislinn 

You May Also Like

0 comments