Touring the Shangri-La

by - May 09, 2017

Hey guys!

I'm halfway done with my finals, and with the none to take tomorrow I decided to use this time and post about my trip to the Shangri-La, as promised! 

Before I start, I would like to preface that this was only done possible with the Kama'aina Deal. For those of you unfamiliar with either the word or the day, let me explain.

Kama'aina means 'Child of the land'. Typically if you're looking for a "local" discount, you would ask if a shop has a "Kama'aina discount". In similar fashion, some places, like the Shangri La, advertise a Kama'aina Day, where you get free admission if you live in Hawaii. 

After applying for the ticket (what, did you think it was free?) I was notified shortly after that I had been awarded one ticket to the museum during the time of 1:30 pm. I was instructed to check in at the Honolulu Museum of Art no later than 1:15, as shortly after I would be shuttled to Doris Duke's house. After taking the bus (I recommend the 13 to Franky Fresh, then cross the street and take the 1 to the Kalihi Transit Center, but getting off at the Museum) I checked in and wait. In total, there were about 20 of us going to the museum. We were the last tour of the day, as there had also been one at 9:30 and another at 10:30. 

Before arriving to the Shangri-La, all I knew was that Doris Duke had turned her home into an Islamic art museum. In fact, there was actually a short video we were all shown on the way to her house. It was nice at telling us the history of the home, but nothing beat pulling into her driveway, driving past security, and waiting outside her white villa. 

I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures. Turns out you're not allowed to take pictures inside the house, so I was limited to only talking pictures of the outside areas. Here is what I could manage:

 
Left: a photo of her garden. According to our guide, all visitors must walk through the garden before coming into her house.
Right: One of her only pieces of art from China. The door was framed by camels, and the other can be seen on the left side of the door.

Her backyard. This was the view you had if you were facing her bedroom. There was, of course, a guesthouse to the left accompanied by a 30 ft. deep pool.
Up close on the detail of some of her art.
The wall you see immediately following her foyer. The yard behind it has a mural and is where she buried some of her 18 German shepherds. 
The view of her backyard adjacent to her patio furniture. I think this angle is absolutely stunning. Whats more- she built this entire plot. Believe it or not but her yard used to actually lead into the ocean.
Sorry if the photos were disappointing. I would have taken more if permitted, but it looks like the interior of the house is kept very hidden. If this is something you're really curious about, I would recommend being on the lookout for what the guide referred to as "a video all about Doris Duke". Apparently just the other day Google flew to her house and filmed an entire something inside, but what that something is I just don't know. 

I hope this gave you a better idea of the Shangri-La museum and inspired you to maybe look into the Kama'aina discounts while you're on island! They're not advertised, but if you ask you'll most certainly find some. 

I have to go study for finals now, talk again soon.

Until next time,

Aislinn

You May Also Like

0 comments